Thursday, April 26, 2007

Old-timers

I've been sharing my vocal abilities a lot more than usual this month, which is a good thing. I sang a small solo in church on Easter Sunday, I sang in church this last Sunday, and I sang at an old folks home for Family Home Evening on Monday. It's good for me to sing more often, it helps me be less nervous. But what I really wanted to post were a few observations from the Kolob Care and Rehabilitation Center, so here is a bulleted list:
  • Older people like to keep the thermostat up nice and high. We walked into the building and were bombarded by heat. Maybe it's not just the mild winters that draw people here, maybe they are crazy enough to like the summers.
  • They had a lovely selection of movies in their activities room. Lots of old classics. Lots of new releases. And some Baby Einstein. Yeah, you read that right. Baby Einstein. Either they get a lot of babies visiting them, or they've regressed to that point.
  • They had numerous framed pictures on their bookshelves, you know, to give the place a more homey feel. They had framed Lucy and Desi, Humphrey Bogart, Fred and Ginger, John Wayne. Like these people are dear friends. And really, they could be for some people. I thought it was neat.

No comments: