Monday, April 09, 2007

Feeling Forgotten

Saturday night as Clark and I were going for a walk, I started whining about how I don't have any callings. I know, there are some of you out there who think I'm crazy, but I'm not. Having a calling helps you meet people in the ward. It keeps you busy. And I am in a position where I actually have time, and I would be willing to spend it on a church calling, but alas, I have none. So after my rant is over, Clark says, "Hey, at least you're a visiting teacher. That is something." I had to agree with him there.

Fast-forward to yesterday. At church we had our Visiting Teaching Conference during Relief Society. It was good, a reminder about how great visiting teaching is, how important it is to do it, etc. I was feeling a lot better about my one, "little" calling as a visiting teacher. Life was good.

And fast-forward once again to this morning. I got a phone call informing me that they had taken me off the visiting teaching list because they thought I had moved. So now I'm not even a visiting teacher. You wanna know what I think happened? There is another girl who lived in the same complex and has red hair who moved. So I'm pretty sure they think Shannon Blockburger is Ashley Bonham. Good one, guys. They said they'd fix it as soon as they can, and let me know. But I think I can now official say that I have "fallen through the cracks" at church. And I haven't even gone inactive.

6 comments:

alisquire said...

Sad! Do you feel that some people "stereotype" red heads? Like they always have to mention the fact that you have red hair, or if they see another red headed girl then she must be your sister or something? I've had many such experiences growing up. Ridiculous.

Melissa said...

Don't worry, your day will come. Someday, when you have a house full of kids, some calling will consume every Sunday, Wednesday evening and the next two Saturdays. Not to mention prep time for those. Oh and four sisters to visit teach, one that lives 30 minutes away. And you'll look back on these days as a simpler time . . . (sigh)

Lauren said...

I wish you were in my stake... you'd be the best cub scout pack leader, I'm sure of it. Until then, good luck biding the time as a forgotten member. Poor Shanny :(

Shanny said...

In response to Melissa's comment: This is exactly why I want a calling now! Because I don't have kids running around and a million things to do. I guess the church delights in giving us challenges, eh?

Suzanne said...

Want to be assistant camp director? Eh? Eh??

Shanny said...

At this point, I'd love to do anything. Even ward choir director. Even girls' camp. Heck, I'm already doing the trek, and that is girls AND boys. And even if I was a VT supervisor, that'd be fine. Just something! But I did have my VT interview today, and they said they were putting me back on the list as soon as they can. So at least for that :)