Monday, April 02, 2007

More Healthcare Fun!

Wow, it takes a lot to be seen by a doctor. I decided that I should go get my heart checked out, since it's been about 3 years since my last echo, and even when I had the echo I didn't actually talk to a doctor. So the last actual doctor I saw for my heart murmur was my pediatric cardiologist. Good one. Anyway, I called my insurance "Member Advocates" on Friday, the called a doctor in the area, set me up with an appointment on Tuesday (quick, I know!), and all was well. Oh, wait, but then I called my old doctor's office to have my medical records sent down here, and it turns out they keep their records off-site, so it takes 7-14 days for records to get sent anywhere. Since my appointment was in 3 days, not 7-14, I called up and rescheduled. Oh, and let's remember that I actually have my records at 2 different places, so I have to try and get consent forms to each of them. "But Shannon," you might say, "didn't you just go through all this crap just a few weeks ago?" You would be correct. Good thing I have multiple problems, because this way I get to go through all this fun multiple times!

Fast forward to today. I got a call back from the Member Advocates lady, and she said that doctor isn't on the plan actually, and the other doctors in the office aren't accepting new patients. So there goes that plan. She calls another doctor, who could see me, but she is retiring at the end of the year, so that would be pointless. She calls yet another office, and they can get me in, but first the guy has to check and see if I need a referral. Great. I don't have a primary care physician. But wait! My OBGYN apparently can count as a primary care physician! Saved. So now I am waiting for that guy to call back and let me know what we need to do in order for me to be seen by them.

On to round 2. I needed to make another doctor appointment, so I called the office. After calling during the lunch hours (I am amazing that any doctor's office that busy can just shut down between 12 and 1:30), and getting the busy signal quite a few times, I finally get through - and I'm on hold. Waiting. . . waiting. . . Ah, she picks up! After I explain what I need, she tells me I need to call the nurses line. Don't ask me why. So I call. Busy. Busy. Busy. Finally I get through! To be on hold. For something like 10 minutes. And let me just say this: When someone is on hold, you really don't need to hear, "Due to the high volume of calls received by nurse, a wait of several minutes may be required. We appreciate your patience," over and over again. I swear, every 30 seconds it would click on. I'm all about just saying it once and then listening to hold music or something. Just a suggestion. Anyway, finally I got through. And once I actually talked to someone, I got it all set up, no problem. So at least the people were helpful, even if they seemed swamped.

I guess the moral of the story is: Doctors are busy on Mondays.

No comments: