Friday, April 13, 2007

Jane Eyre: The Review

Today I finally finished Jane Eyre. And I must admit, I really did like it. It definitely has an older style, and that can make it hard to read sometimes (people just don't talk like that anymore), but all in all, it was a good read. Yes, she receives a proposal from a married man. Yes, she receives a proposal from her cousin. Yes, she marries Mr. Rochester after his crazy wife burns his house down and dies. (These are some of Clark's main points against the book). But Clark's largest complaint was that she is always whining about how horrible her life is. I found this to be just not true. Sure, she has some rough times, especially at the beginning, but I feel like the book is all about making the best of what you are giving and finding happiness in those circumstances.

She starts out with her mean old aunt. Things aren't good there, to be sure. But she gets sent to a boarding school pretty quick. And for her, she is happy because it's different, because there are more people there. It turns out that the school isn't the happiest of environments either, but then circumstances change. She makes dear friends there. And after that it feels like no matter where she goes, she goes to find something better, and she finds it! Anyway, I'd like to have it known that in our small Blockburger family, I am the expert on Jane Eyre, and I find it to be a delightful book.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is soooo gross to marry your cousin! Dad does not understand. (jessica)