Friday, November 16, 2007

Prune Juice

I feel Like I've been blogging a lot lately. Apparently I have a lot to say.

Ever since I got pregnant I've been having constipation problems. Ok, that's not entirely true. I've always had . . . a somewhat irregular bowel system, to put it delicately. But pregnancy has exacerbated the problem. And being dehydrated certainly made it worse. Don't get me wrong, being constipated is 10 million times better than being as sick as I was, and it's really not that bad. But I decided to ask the doctor if he had any suggestions for helping things move along, because if there is something I can do, I might as well do it. He suggested prune juice, a common constipation remedy. So yesterday at the grocery store, I purchased some. You hear lots of bad things about prune juice, how disgusting it is, but I've had prunes before, and they aren't SO terrible. How bad can it be?
Pretty bad, as it turns out. It tastes like liquid raisins that have had the sugar sucked out of them. Not good at all. I think it helped, though, so I am going to continue having a small glass a day and see how it goes. And maybe next time I'll buy plum juice instead.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aren't prunes dried plums? :-)

Alex said...

SICK! I used to have to drink thats stuff alot when I was younger for the same problem. I can still recall the nasty taste... blgh! I like eating prunes though, they're not bad at all... but the juice, oh its nasty! If you eat the prunes themselves though, you'll get more fiber out of the ordeal. Good luck. :)

Suzanne said...

Skip the juice and go straight for the prunes. I love prunes; they're tasty.

Sabrina said...

Ads does plum juice rather than prune juice, although she drinks them both equally well. I just feel nicer giving her plum juice instead. Obviously she's a baby, but the plum juice seems to have the same effect as the prune. I guess if you can stand eating prunes that sounds like a pretty decent alternative as well. I don't dig prunes at all though so good luck!

Em said...

I was on prune juice when I was pregnant with McKenna because I was anemic and it's supposed to be a great source of iron. Popping iron pills was a much more pleasant solution.

You'd think with the technology these days they could come up with prune juice pills or something. 1000 times more effective, and absolutely tasteless.

Good luck with the nastiness!