Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dirty Politics

In a rare twist of fate, I watched some of The Morning Show today (or maybe it was Good Morning America? I actually flipped through a couple of them). They happened to have Elizabeth Edwards on, talking about her confrontation/ongoing feud with Ann Coulter. Now, I'm not one to pay much attention to politics. I think it's important to talk about the issues, but I don't love all the hype about politicians' personal lives, it bores me. And watching the clips they had of Ms. Coulter, as well as the interview with Mrs. Edwards, I have come to this conclusion: Elizabeth Edwards has class. Ann Coulter does not. It all boils down to that. Ann Coulter is just plain rude, and she acts like she is doing what is right and sticking up for republicans, but all she does is insult members of the democratic party. And I think she thinks she is funny, but she is just plain dumb. I say, debate the issues, but give the personal attacks a rest.

1 comment:

Adam Lowe said...

Ann Coulter is deliberately incendiary, it's just her schtick to sell books. Once you understand that, she is much easier to ignore.

I thought it was interesting when Edwards asked her to stop the personal attacks, and she responded, "Oh, so you want me to stop speaking?" She meant it as a straw man, in order to portray Edwards as wanting to silence her critics. But it was actually an unintended admission that, without her personal attacks and caustic style, she wouldn't sell the books and get the airtime that she does, and she would effectively be silenced.