Monday, June 18, 2007

Weekend update

It had been quite some time since we'd gone up to Salt Lake for the weekend, and since my parents will probably be out of their house by the end of the month, we decided we needed to get up there to "say goodbye" to good old Amanda Ave. Stewart is in town, so we had all 4 kids there for the occasion (Michelle was sadly missed, however).

It's an exciting thing, moving. I am thrilled for my parents, their new house is amazing, and they deserve to have a new house after all these years with small closets, no grounded plugs, and no sprinkler system. I got to see the model home while we were up there, and it looks fantastic. And it sounds like the apartment they are moving into until the house is built is fabulous as well. They'll have a pool! We can bring our swimsuits next time we come to visit!

But you know, it's also kind of sad to say goodbye to that house. There are a lot of memories there. A lot. All of us grew up in that house. I remember when Stewart and I were just little and we would tilt our mattresses on an angle so we could slide down them. And we tried to make tunnels out of sleeping bags. It was quite a while before we realized that sleeping bags aren't tubes. I remember when Stewart made the big move downstairs, and all three of us girls were too afraid of the dark to sleep in a room by ourselves, so we had 3 beds in one room, and all our stuff in the other room. There was so much moving around of rooms. There was a time when each of the bedrooms upstairs was "My Room," as well as the bedroom downstairs. We used to have this huge dollhouse, and for a while it was in my bedroom, but it creeped me out at night, so we moved it. Apparently I was a fraidy cat. And then there are memories from more recent years: coming home from college for Christmas and summer vacation; the time a truly embarrassing moment was avoided by seconds when Clark, after dropping me off for the evening, walked down the driveway and saw Kim, who was coming home; my wedding dress hanging in the front room. It's hard to let go of that history. Which seems silly, I know. The memories aren't disappearing, the house is just being left behind. But it still has a bittersweet sting.

In other news, Happy Fathers' Day! And Happy Birthday, Suzanne! We got to see the Blockburgers on Sunday, which was a treat. It got me all pumped for the big Yellowstone Excursion in a couple weeks.

3 comments:

alisquire said...

Where are your parents moving? That's exciting, but I would be sad too.

Shanny said...

They are going to live in an apartment downtown until their house in Daybreak is built. It should be done sometime next March.

Sabrina said...

It truly is the end of an era. I have lots of good memories there too, starting with playing Barbies and My Little Ponies in your basement. Good times!