Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Generic vs. Name Brand

Clark has mentioned in his blog before that there are some things in life where the brand name is necessary, such as enchilada sauce. In general, I am all about buying the generic brands, saving a few pennies here and there, and usually I can't tell a difference. But there are just some things that you shouldn't skimp on, and I discovered another one today: Contact Solution.

OK, first off, this isn't a "Helpful Hint" for most of you, because most people either don't wear contacts, or they wear soft contacts. I wear gas permeable contact lenses. The solution you have to buy is completely different. So, for years and years I would always buy the Boston Contact Conditioning Solution (as well as the Boston Contact Cleaning Solution), because that was all that was available at the store. It was fairly expensive (about $8/bottle) but it was completely worth it to me, as it took away the glasses, and nobody wants to wear glasses and be called "Four Eyes" (as a side note, the only time I was ever called "Four Eyes" was by a kid who was in fact wearing glasses himself. I don't think he really got it). A few months ago, I happened to notice that Target has started making a Target Brand Contact Conditioning Solution, and it was considerably cheaper than the Boston brand stuff. We're talking more like $5/bottle. So I figured I'd try it out. I noticed that it was a little different, but it still worked just fine. The biggest difference was my eyes seemed to be a little less wet right after I put in my contacts in the morning. I decided that it was a good bargain, and I've been buying it ever since.

Until last night. I went to Target to pick some up, and they were completely out of the Target brand stuff. Gone. All that was left was the Boston. Since I was totally out of it, I had to buy something, so I bought the more expensive stuff. And when I put my contacts in this morning, it was like a flush of water in my eyes. It felt soooo good. I felt refreshed, my eyes felt more moist than they have in quite some time. I know that sounds kind of silly, moist eyes, but it just felt great. And thus, I've decided to go back to the good old Boston brand. Poor Target. They didn't stock enough of their own item, and thus they lost me. Kind of ironic. Don't ya think?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Now that I'm buying my own groceries, I'm trying to buy more generic stuff to save a little money. However, I've found that the Desert Pepper Trading Company peach and mango salsa is way, way better than the Kroger stuff. Stay away from Kroger salsa.

On some things, though, I am very particular. I think Mission tortillas are the best. And I actually prefer the store-brand chocolate ice cream to the expensive stuff.