Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mormonism and Popular Culture

I've gotten a little behind on my RadioWest listening, so I was listening to the May 28 broadcast today, titled, "Mormonism and Popular Culture." They based the conversation off of the South Park episode focusing on Mormonism, and expanded to the views that everyone has about Mormons in general. It was really quite interesting.

But on to the part I found worth blogging about. They played a clip from South Park, where one of the characters has been invited over for Family Home Evening, and the Mormon family is singing a song about the Joseph Smith story. So, it's South Park, you know that they are just making fun of Mormons, which is fine, they make fun of a lot of people, and I really don't have a problem with it. The funny thing, though, is the song tells this ridiculous story about Joseph Smith, about how he saw God and Jesus, and about how he saw angels, it just all seems like stuff the South Park people made up, but it's all the truth. I found nothing in that song that I don't believe. I mean, really, if you think about it, it's crazy. And yet I believe it. They played another clip of the creators of the show talking about it, and talking about how you'd think that they made all this stuff up, but no, they are simply telling it exactly as Mormons believe it. From time to time I have these epiphanies, that what I believe can sound absolutely insane if you don't have the spirit there. And it just strikes me as, well, as funny. So I guess the song fulfilled its purpose, at least for me. It made me laugh.

1 comment:

W.L.Platt said...

If only they didn't sing "dum-dum-dum-dum-dum!" between each line, I could be happy with the whole song. Actually, the Mormon South Park episode was brilliant on a lot of levels. Just don't show it to investigators - or any body on the public affairs council! smile.