Friday, December 12, 2008

Haul out the holly

Christmas is in full swing at our house, which is delightful, but also quite busy. Here's a sampling of what we've been doing:
  1. Our itty bitty 4 foot tree is up! It's worked nicely for us in the past, and I think it will serve us well once again this year. It's so small that we can put it up on a table, and then Julia can't get to any ornaments, lights, or presents. But I think next year we might need to spring for a bigger tree. Maybe we'll have to hit the day after Christmas sales.
  2. We went to our ward party last weekend! We had us some yummy food, and enjoyed sitting with the Lowes. Also, they didn't have Santa, instead the bishopric dressed up as the Three Wise Men and gave out gifts to the kiddies, isn't that an awesome idea? I thought it was so clever.
  3. The presents are (almost) all wrapped. I've only got a couple of things left to purchase, and it's only December 12! Woo! I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I was inspired by this woman and her desire to simplify Christmas last year. And so we are each receiving something we NEED, something we WANT, something to READ, and something to WEAR. And, of course, Santa will leave a little gift as well. I figured this would be a nice tradition to start, especially since I can see how easy it would be to go overboard on gifts for your children. Julia's gifts are all done and ready, and Clark's are almost done. We decided that our NEED would be the combined gift of a new vacuum cleaner. Thrilling, I know.
  4. I've been singing, singing, and singing Christmas music! I'm singing with the choir in the Forgotten Carols next week, and my community choir (Lieto!) has its Christmas concert next Saturday. All of you who live in the area should come, because it's FREE. 7:30pm, Saturday December 20, at Pineview High School. It should be uplifting, I know it is for me every week when we practice. Oh, and then we have our ward choir stuff next Sunday. Lots of music, and I love it!
  5. Tomorrow we are going to see all the nativity sets at the Green Valley Stake Center. We've done this the past 2 years, and I have loved it. They seriously have hundreds of these nativity sets on display, and they play beautiful Christmas music, it really is wonderful. You should go to that, too. It's open house today and tomorrow.
We still need to finish our Christmas card, and I am dying to make some cookie press cookies (thanks to Melissa!). Between all that, Julia boycotting naps (she looks so tired at the end of the day, but the girl just won't fall asleep unless someone is holding her; I think it's part of her recent stranger anxiety flare up), and my ensuing meltdowns, I haven't had much time to blog lately. But you all are probably too busy with your Christmas things to read it anyway.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Actually, I'm actually not that busy. I should be, but I decided to read blogs and do Christmas related stuff another time. The tree on the table is a good idea. I don't know how I'm gonna keep Sarah from touching ours this year.

Kim said...

Ugh... the fact that Julia won't take naps totally sucks like a juice box. C'est la vie, I guess. But it sounds like you've got some pretty good Christmas cheer going on over there at least. If she gets used to us over holidays again, Patrick and I would be MORE than HAPPY to help put her to sleep...!!! :-D

PrincessKatie said...

Yeah for updates. I love the idea of the three wise men and also the simplify christmas. And the door is all too cute!

Cheryl said...

I agree with all that. I really like your #1 too. It was nice to sit with you too, even though you got the present instead of us! (Matt sneaked one off an empty table so we got some candy canes too!) So all's well and I guess I'll go work on sewing some Christmas stockings now!

Holly said...

Can you tell me when you're going to make those pressed cookie things? I've always wanted to try them! We could do it for playgroup this week :) If we have time with all the crazy singing!