Monday, December 01, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

We survived Thanksgiving! We went up to the Salt Lake Valley to visit all our family up there. Our big turkey meal was at Grandma and Grandpa Hurst's house, and I thought it was wonderful to see so many aunts, uncles, and cousins there. Julia had other thoughts. The poor kid had a rough weekend, between having a cold, cutting a new tooth (we're up to 2 now!), and all the people trying to hold her. Her own grandparents might as well have been complete strangers who were trying to kidnap her. And even Clark got a taste of Julia's "stranger danger." I had to tell her more than once, "Hello! This is your father! You know, the guy who sees you every day!" It was all mama all the time. I decided that, since it was Thanksgiving and all, I'd be grateful for a daughter who loves me and wants me to hold her, rather than wishing for a break. Anyway, back to the big news. Oh yes, there is big news. JULIA ATE FROM A SPOON! It's a Thanksgiving miracle! My grandma kept saying, "I'll be Julia would like some of those yams, you should try it," and I kept saying, "Well, she hates to eat everything from a spoon." But I decided to just show everyone her dislike for spoons, and BAM! Suddenly the yams were in her mouth, and she was chewing them, and swallowing (swallowing!), and opening her mouth for more. Here is the evidence: See how she has yams on her face? And see how she isn't flipping out? As a side note, I also ate yams for the first time in many years, and I liked the yams for the first time ever. Bring on the vegetables, I'm a changed woman.

We also visited the Blockburgers on Thanksgiving, and attempted to get a shot of Julia with Great-Grandma Meme. But this is what happened:

A pretty good example of what happened every time anyone tried to hold her at all. Christy asked if we had tried giving her something for sore gums (which we hadn't), but I couldn't help be notice that she's not upset all the time, just when someone besides mom is trying to hold her. In fact, she loved loved LOVED to see other kids. We were so glad to see the Shaefers, but I don't know if anyone was happier than Lauren and "Baby Joo-ah." Julia decided to demonstrate a new skill by full on saying, "Hi," when she first saw Lauren. And then she learned to wave at everyone. She also loved to watch Lauren run around, and Lauren liked to show Julia how to crawl. It was very cute. But how do you take a picture of 2 squirmy kids?
The answer is: you don't. But you can take a video! Mostly this video is of Julia crawling over to one of the the floor vents, but Lauren pops in as well.

Coming soon: our trip to the zoo.

No comments: