Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chore Chart Victory!

We have chore charts around these parts. Chore charts that tend to be ignored for weeks at a time, actually. But lately we've been on a chore chart kick. I told Julia way back in the fall that if she got 100 stickers on her chore charts, she would earn an ice cream cone. She reminded me of that promise not too long ago, and has been working extra hard to reach her goal. And last night we counted them up and realized that she had made it. So tonight we went out for ice cream! I took a picture:

Oh, wait. No I didn't. Hello, I'm Shannon, and I don't ever take pictures. But imagine, if you will, Julia with a cup of Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream (with a cone on top, to make everyone happy), and the rest of us sharing a cup of Peanut Butter Banana. Then imagine Julia with chocolate all around her mouth, wearing a huge grin, and Ella continually wiping the table with her napkin. And that's all you are missing here. Oh, and also, my favorite part was when the PB Banana was gone, and Julia says, "Oh, if your ice cream is all gone, then you can all share my ice cream!" What generosity! I've taught her well, that Julia girl.

I think the chart has been very good for her. She still doesn't ever make her bed, and getting her to pick up toys can be challenging, but I've noticed that she gets dressed (and puts away her jammies) without my asking every morning. And she brushes her teeth most mornings. And she is getting better and better at reminding me to let her set the table. So we're making great progress.

In case you were curious, Ella has a chore chart, too. Hers is much simpler. It has three tasks: Brush Teeth, Pick Up Toys, Listen and Obey. The Listen and Obey column has one, lonely little sticker. She has a bit of room for improvement.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

What a good idea! I've been trying to give Josh little jobs lately and I think a sticker chore chart would work well for him. Thanks for sharing. Good job Julia!

Celeste said...

That's awesome. I'm still working on convincing Craig that sleeping IN pajamas is a good idea. He just can't waste that much time getting dressed in the morning! there's things too much other stuff calling to him! I love that Ella has a chore chart too! I've been meaning to make one for savannah... And well... I bet you can guess how that's going.

I'd love to see a picture of your charts. Any inspiration is always welcome!