Tuesday, May 31, 2011

30 by 30, #30: Use my passport.

In case you aren't familiar with the 30 by 30 Project, here is the original post, with the big fat list.

I've had my passport for 5 years now, and I've never used it. Not once. One might wonder why I got it, if I had no plans to use it. Well, this was back in the days when Clark was going to work for Schlumberger, and it was possible that they'd send him to Egypt or Scotland for training, so I got my passport just in case. He didn't end up working for Schlumberger, and I didn't end up using my passport. Missing out on the possibility of Scotland was a bummer, but not moving to Evanston, WY more than made up for it.

Clark's passport expires June 1, so it was decided that we needed to get to Canada, and fast. My parents came to town (more on that later), and it just worked out that they day they left was one of the last possible days for us to head out of town for an overnight adventure. So we headed to Niagara Falls!

Since seeing Niagara Falls is a separate goal, this post is all about Canada, eh. I don't have a whole lot to say about Northern Montana, but here are a few things.

We told Julia all about loonies and toonies, though I don't think she quite grasped it because she then called her happy meal toys "toonies" even though those were Zoobles. Have I lost you all yet?

Driving through Canada was very pleasant, and Clark was very excited to switch our speedometer over to km/hr.

Crossing the border into Canada only took us about 1/2 hour, which isn't too bad. Crossing back into the US took us about 5 minutes, which is obviously better. Go USA!

We felt it was necessary to eat donuts in Canada, and apparently Tim Hortons is a big name in Canadian coffee and donuts, so we went there. It helped that there was one close by our hotel. It was delicious. We have a Tim Hortons here in town, so I guess we can go back whenever we want! But Tim Hortons at Clifton Hill? How do you not take Visa? How is that even possible? Thank goodness you take American cash, or else we would have had to put back our $2 worth of donuts and we would have felt really dumb.


All in all, we had a great time.

No comments: