Monday, September 11, 2006

Yeast. The final frontier.

Well, we are here. And it's not that bad. St George is a nice place. We had a small problem with the property management people (they took exceptionally long processing our application, like 2 times as long as they said they would, and thus we were here with a truck, waiting to be accepted [please, have you met me? why wouldn't you accept me], and I got a bit upset with them, but it all worked out in the end), but now things are good. Everyone here is nice, and helpful (with the exception of Jensen Property Management). We even went to 2 post offices, and both of the postal workers actually seemed ready to help us and (gasp) cheerful. We got all our stuff unpacked, we are a bit more settled. Now we just need to get our phone hooked up and our internet up and running, then I'll feel much better.

Everyone keeps asking what I am going to do down here. Well, the truth is I don't know. When we were moving to Evanston, there was so much traveling with Clark's training that I hadn't planned on looking for a job until January. So, now I have no idea what to do. I might look into physical therapy, I might look into clerical work, I might look into doing something at home. Who knows. I guess at this point I'm just taking a break, enjoying not working for at least a few weeks, and enjoying the fact that we make enough money for me to take my time finding a job that I will enjoy. It's nice to not have that stress of being the breadwinner hanging over me. My main goal is to be a good housewife for a bit, and then take it from there.

Ah, my real goal is to conquer my fear of bread. Not to eat, to bake. I have this strange fear of making bread, in particular of yeast. It's this weird thing, it's active for pity's sake. Active. I don't even know what that means! And you have to activate the stuff. And then things have to rise, and there is kneeding, it's a huge process. I've made some bread before. I made the most terrible loaf of bread known to man. I did manage some rolls at some point after the terrible loaf, but that was at least a year ago. So, my goal is to figure this stuff out. It's a simple thing to most people. It's just so hard for me. But if I can overcome yeast, I can overcome anything.

No comments: