Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Let them eat cake

Saturday marked the beginning of what I assume will be a lifelong struggle for our darling daughter:

For those of you who aren't following, that cake says, "Happy 1st Birthday Julie." Who is Julie? My daughter is named Julia, thank you very much. We're going to have to start saying, "Julia, like Julia Roberts." Then maybe they'll get it. Luckily, we have toothpicks and master decorator Clark on hand for just such emergencies:And our daughter is 1. She can't read. But she is pretty brilliant, so next year, we'll have to be more careful.

I really couldn't complain much about the cake, though, because it was free. Yes, you read that right, FREE! Albertson's does free 1st birthday cakes. They are small, perfect size for smashing up with little fists. Of course, we didn't give her the whole cake, we just gave her a small piece to devour. And devour she did. Those pictures are a little further down.

Other people had cake, too. Well, cupcakes. We had ladybugs and flowers. The ladybugs were red velvet. I've got to say, spooning that batter into the cups felt wrong. Like I was getting ready to bake some tomato soup or something. And then it looked like I'd killed someone in the kitchen sink when I was washing the dishes. But the cupcakes were kind of cute, I think.

The flowers were white cake. I was planning on just figuring out how to frost them that day, but it turns out that you can't just figure something like that out. You have to have skills, and equipment, otherwise you might end up with a sandwich bag full of purple frosting that has a rip in it, and purple frosting all over your hands. Maybe. I wouldn't know. Luckily, we had jellybeans, so I cut those in half and made some flowers. And I thought they turned out well.
Julia did much better at opening presents than she did at Christmas. Dad helped.
She got some great things (lots of cute new clothes!), and it was so fun to have all her friends over to our house.

OK, now here are the cake pictures. And a couple of videos. I especially like when she's got frosting coming out her nose, and then she's got a pink moustache. Good times!


Thanks again to everyone who came and celebrated - Julia had a great time!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm sad we couldn't be there! But I'm sure everyone is glad we didn't share our colds.

If you ever need to borrow my decorating tips and bags...let me know!

Alex said...

Hooray for JuliA!!! Man, I feel her pain, I had AlexandER/AlexandrIa written on so many bday cakes its not even funny... Great job on the cupcakes, looks like it was a blast!!! Wish we could have been there:(

Amber said...

I love the cupcakes! It looks like it was super fun, congrats on the first birthday! I have similar "name drama" with Zoe. People really don't understand the pronunciation. And it doesn't help that her middle name is Tyler so people on the phone, insurance, etc. think she's a boy. Happy Birthday Julia!