Tuesday, August 22, 2006

St. George

Well, there has been quite a bit of excitement over here in the past day. Christy's dad (Christy is my mother-in-law) had a stroke, and most likely will not make it. He lives in St. George, so she went down with Jessica and Steve to see him, see her mom, and just to be there. It's sad. In some ways, it was his time, it's a good thing, things were going downhill anyway, but you can't use that to say that it was a good thing. It's still very sad. My heart goes out to their family.

Then Clark has another job opportunity looming on the horizon. Yes, this is after he has accepted a job with Schlumberger. Yes, that is supposed to start like next week. This new job is in St. George (suddenly St. George is popping up everywhere), and he is going down there Friday to check it out and see what the deal is. Yes, I said Friday. Then we have like a day to decide whether he flies out to Houston on Monday, or we start looking for places to live in St. George. It's making me a bit stressed, but I have to remember that regardless, he has a job. We'll just have to see where.

I quit my job in 4 days!

Here's a funny little story from work. So, my name is Shannon, and I have red hair, thus I often get questions about begin Irish. I might be some small part Irish waaaay back, but I'm not sure. So, not really. I got this question yesterday from a patient, and after I told her I wasn't Irish, she asked if I was Scandinavian, whcih I am. She said red-heads are always either Irish, Scandinavian, or Jewish. I had never thought about that before, even though I am a red-head. And then it got me to thinking about our melting pot culture, and how my red hair might have come from Ireland ages ago and just been handed down from generation to generation, or it might have come from Scandinavia, or it might have been some other thing, who knows. But it made me realize that I come from so many places, and I have so many things all wrapped up into one person. It was kind of a cool thing to think about. Makes me want to learn more about my family history and (Kim would be so proud) my culture. Which ties everything back to St. George - my great-great-great-grandmother was one of the first settlers there.

No comments: