Tuesday, December 07, 2010

30 by 30 #12: Read the Old Testament all the way through

I know that I've already talked about this one, but I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment, and decided that it needed it's own 30 by 30 post.

I set out to read the Old Testament from cover to cover in January of 2006, because that is what we were reading in Sunday School. I got through Genesis and Exodus, and felt pretty good about myself. I trudged through Leviticus and Numbers with a little less enthusiasm. Somewhere around Deuteronomy I felt like giving up. But I kept going. I didn't get around to it every day, but I kept going. I mentioned to Clark that I was slowing down and having a hard time getting excited about the Old Testament, and he suggested that we read it together. I thought this was a fabulous idea. So we started reading as a family. Well, really as a couple, because that was all our family was at the time.

We'd stop and start, read every day, read once a month. We read with Julia when she came along (who could be found saying, "Son of Man!" around the house when we were reading Ezekiel), and with Ella when she showed up. And finally, FINALLY, we finished it. On our way out to Michigan. In October 2010. It sure took us long enough, but we did it.

And I'm really glad we did. Not only do I feel a sense of accomplishment, but it's nice to have some idea of what is in the Bible, especially those books at the end. And I do feel like I learned a lot, and had testimony building experiences. I'm not rearing to start up in Genesis again, but I did enjoy it for the most part.

2 down. 28 to go.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

That's really awesome! I think that's a major accomplishment!