Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bryce Canyon

To celebrate the rest from our Labors, we decided to go to Bryce Canyon and make a day of it. Clark already hit on the basics (including Julia's eruption). But here is where you'll get the good stuff - the pictures!

I am forever in awe of the beauty of Bryce Canyon. It takes my breath away every time I see it. And I feel that hiking there is a unique experience in that you get to go down into the amphitheater and be surrounded by hoodoos. And where else do you hike down first and up last? OK, I guess that's how you hike the Grand Canyon. But still. Not your run-of-the-mill hiking excursion.

Pulling a hat switch. (What I wanted to say was "hat trick," but switching hats isn't really a trick.)
One awesome family photo. Be looking for it on your Christmas cards.

Sleepy baby.
At this point in the hike, Clark was D-O-N-E. It was quite the role reversal. Apparently we've found the threshold for equal fatigue in Clark and Shannon on a hike, and that is adding Julia's current weight to Clark's load.

As an aside, we got a new hiking backpack! Or really, we came into ownership of an old hiking backpack! How old you ask? Oh, somewhere around 25 years. My parents gave us theirs. Apparently Whitney hated it, so it's not as well used as you would think. And all things considered, I think it's a good one. You would have to ask Clark if you wanted a more thorough opinion on the matter.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

I love how happy Julia is in every picture. That seems like such a fun thing to do! (even with all the blowouts!) and the long walk with a baby on your back. K.C. had the same experience when we were hiking down from the Timpanogos caves. but we didn't have a back pack. Oh fun times.