Friday, March 30, 2007

"But I have to keep my feet on the ground!"

Last night we watched a cinematic masterpiece of the 80's that I had never seen, thus fulfilling my long-burning desire to see this film. We watched "The Neverending Story."

I remember seeing all the commercials as a kid, and wanting to see it pretty bad, but for some reason we never went. My family wasn't really the movie-going type growing up, probably in part because who wants to take Whitney to a movie and try and keep her quiet for 2 hours? And besides that, you never know when any little kid is going to be freaked out by a movie, and that movie did have some pretty freaky parts. Anyway, after all this time I still remember those commercials, and I was still wondering what that movie was all about, so when we found it at the library, we jumped at the opportunity and checked it out.

I wasn't disappointed. The 7-year-old girl inside of me was finally fulfilling the dream, finally finding out what a luckdragon is, finally seeing the childlike empress. It was great. OK, I'll admit, the movie is a little trippy, and there are some parts that, quite frankly, would have given me major nightmares as a child. And it was very 80's, all the music, the "special effects." But really, I liked it. I was a bit worried that it would be one of those movies you have to see as a child to appreciate, and if you see it for the first time as an adult, you'll hate it, but that wasn't the case. It probably helped that I wanted to see it for so many years, that I remembered the trailer for it, and that I watched it with Clark, who had seen it as a child. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble now, so I'd better go. I've got to find my luckdragon.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Every time there was fog when we were kids we would go out and walk around in it screaming, "The nothing is coming!" People probably would have thought we were drunk had we not been nine year old.

p.s. Don't see the second one, definitely not as good as the first.

Melissa said...

Oh, and we saw that movie soooo many times but never figured out what his mom's name is that he has to scream out into the storm. "Maagblaaa," if I remember correctly.

Anonymous said...

Bastian! Give me a name!!

Of course Clark saw it as a child. We saw it so many times. We were always running from the nothing on our way to school. I still do sometimes.