Thursday, July 25, 2019

40 by 40 #5: Go Paddleboarding

Last summer, I decided we were going to make this paddleboarding thing happen.  We live close to a lake, and thanks to our HOA we have access to a number of kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards that we can take on the lake, for FREE!  I love free!  So we headed to the lake to check this one off my list.

I think the first day, we had an old guy doling out the boats, who said it was too windy for a first-timer.  We were sad, but we took a kayak out instead, understanding how wind could make things more difficult.  The next time we went, we had someone I'll call Doofus.  Doofus seemed to be completely annoyed that we were there, making him get up from his cozy chair to get a paddleboard out.  Getting the boats and boards out doesn't seem that hard, so I couldn't figure out what his problem was.  When we first approached, he explained that he had heard thunder, and we had to go an hour without thunder before we could go on the lake.  This was fine, we went home, and came back an hour later (during which we distinctly heard no thunder).  Neither had Doofus.  But he said nope, no paddelboards, but he'd be happy to give us a kayak.  We explained that we didn't want a kayak, we wanted a paddleboard.  He nodded, and went to get a kayak.  We again explained that we didn't want to go kayaking, and he basically indicated that he wouldn't be letting us use the paddleboards today.  No explanation, not even a fake one.  So we left.  Clark sent a strongly worded email to the HOA (which he received no response on).  I was not impressed.

We went back a few days later, Doofus was there again.  His attitude remained the same, but he reluctantly got out a couple of paddleboards and let us on the lake.  To this day I have no idea what his problem was, but I have thankfully not seen him since then.

ANYWAY.  The paddleboarding itself was awesome!  It was much harder than I thought it would be, but in a good way.  Clark and I both paddled out while kneeling, then stood up after a lot of effort (and a little confusion, how are you supposed to stand up without tipping over? I still don't know exactly how that happened...), and made our way around the lake.  It was great!

I didn't get a picture of this activity because, hello, my phone would go right into the lake.  Plus, I had to use all my appendages (and my core) just to stay on the board.  But trust me, it happened, and it was fabulous.

40 by 40 #5: Go paddleboarding: 🗹

1 comment:

Clark said...

My recollection is that Doofus said we couldn't have a paddle board because it was cloudy. Because that makes sense.