Friday, October 19, 2007

Suze Orman

Suze Orman was on Oprah yesterday. Now, I've seen The Suze Orman show a couple of times, and generally I like her. She is all about telling people to get out of debt, which is fantastic. We need more of that in this world. And she really isn't afraid to lay into someone and say, "Hey, you're being dumb with your money, fix it." Go Suze.

Back to yesterday. Oprah had on some people that were in debt. I didn't watch the whole show, I flipped to it maybe halfway through, so I only got the full story on one couple. These people are $350,000 in debt. Good gravy! That's a lot of debt! So she was telling them not to buy a $900 pair of shoes (do you know how many pairs of shoes you can get at Payless for $900?!) and to sell their expensive cars, etc. Giving them tips. This is a good thing. Mr. Debt likes DVD's, and has about 900 in his collection. So Ms. Suze busts out this "helpful advice": Put the DVD's on an iPod and sell them.

Um, excuse me? You can't just make a copy of a DVD and then sell it. That is what we call piracy, and is in fact illegal. Tell him to sell the movies, but don't tell him to copy them first! I thought it was pretty lame.

But overall, she was helping people, so I have to give her credit for that.

1 comment:

alisquire said...

I saw the first 10 minutes or so of the show. There was a woman who was so selfish that she would buy herself tons of expensive clothing, furniture, manicures, etc. but would hardly buy any clothing for her six kids or get health insurance so her daughter could get an MRI. Ridiculous.