Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Happy Belated Veteran's Day!

I was going to blog about Veteran's Day, but then so many other exciting things were going on, what with the parents being in town and the fish dying, so I completely forgot! While reading the paper the other day, I came across an article, and I've actually clipped it out because I thought it was so cool. It was basically a tribute to the few remaining WWI veterans. Near as they can tell, there are about a dozen of them. And they are all over 100, of course. One of them was the son of slaves. SLAVES. Wow. It just struck a chord in me, made me think that there have been many wars over the course of our nation's history, and without courageous men and women fighting for our nation, I wouldn't enjoy the freedoms that I do. I truly am grateful for the sacrifices made.

I feel like Veteran's Day was a bigger deal this year than it has been in years past, partly because of the current war in Iraq, and I think partly because I live in St George, where there are more veterans. But I think it is appropriate that we celebrate this day. My grandfather was in the navy in WWII, but he didn't see any action. I think sometimes he feels like he wasn't really in the war because of it, like he didn't do anything courageous. But just the fact that he was there, he did what his country required of him, is worth a lot. So, to all the veterans out there (and I am almost positive that none of them read this blog, I certainly can't see my grandparents reading it ["What's a 'blaugh'?"] but just in case they do) THANK YOU. We appreciate you.

No comments: