Monday, November 06, 2017

Halloween

I'm trying to think what I could write about Halloween, and nothing is coming.  I am just not terribly inspired by this holiday.  It's fun to dress up and go trick or treating, but it's an awful lot of work for a holiday that's, in my opinion, not all that great.  I don't really do horror or gore, which is entirely too abundant this time of year.  Anyway, we made it through with happy kids, and that's what counts.

Julia decided to be a dragon, which immediately made me think of cute dragon costumes for babies, which is 100% not what she was going for.  After scouring Pinterest I found a tutorial for a dragon cape that she liked. However, I have got about 2 skills in sewing, and this costume required 356,  so I basically had to call in the reinforcements, aka my mom.  What with my sisters both having babies last month (!!) my mom was pretty busy, and was in fact out of town until October 25.  She pulled this amazing costume together in 2 days.  I am in awe of her sewing prowess.



Ella, ever thinking outside the box, declared in early October that she wanted to be a marionette.  I could think of hundreds of costume ideas, but marionette has never been one of them.  We crafted this headpiece, and I thought it turned out pretty amazing.  She got lots of comments on her costume, and corrected everyone who told her they liked her puppet costume.  "It's a MARIONETTE."  Blank stares.  Turns out most kids don't know what a marionette is.  (Julia's solution was to say, "Like in the French Revolution, Mary Annette!"  Which is a) not quite right and b) completely over their heads as well.  Bless that Julia and her big brain.)


Trick or treating in our new neighborhood was pretty amazing.  There was a whole buffet being served down the street, kids running everywhere...it was kind of like Halloween in a movie.  But not a Halloween movie, more like a happy movie for little kids.  Anyway, good times were had by all.  We ran out of candy here at 8, turned off the lights, and called it a night.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What CUTE costumes!! I too am impressed with the dragon cape ... and in TWO days! Wow. I'm also impressed with the imagination of your little girls and their originality. Love them!